Wednesday, December 1, 2010

If you can't take them to Waffle House, bring the waffles to them!

It has been too long since the last entry but we all have been busy at the zoo with Thanksgiving and such. I am a college student (graduating in 16 days) and my time is limited. But last Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, I was able to spend my holiday at the zoo. I am so thankful for that. There is nothing more special than being with the animals you care for and being able to enjoy a quiet and empty zoo. I love seeing the public but it gives you a different perspective when it's just you and a few volunteers doing animal care.

I did something special for the mammals..... I made them waffles! Needless to say, they were a big hit, especially with those silly ole bears. I spread peanut butter on them to make sure they ate the first piece. When I handed the waffles to Yonah and Athena, they carefully took them from my hand and dropped them to the ground. However, once the taste hit their tongue, it was almost as if they vacuumed them off the ground! In two seconds, they were reaching through the fence, begging for more. Their second waffle was covered in grapes and honey. Talk about heaven! They wanted more but I had to ration them out to the other animals.


And of course, the big bear DJ got his own waffles (and the pieces from the first few waffles I made that fell apart in the iron). After I gave him the first piece, I'm pretty sure he forgot anything else existed. Such a big handsome boy and his nose was going crazy.


The opossums even had a piece each. The male was trying to figure it out when he saw the female chowing down. Needless to say, they swapped pieces.

Gus didn't eat his right away. He went for his corn instead. I assume he ate it eventually, or his little squirrel friends did, because it wasn't there the next morning.

All in all, it was a great day at the zoo. All the animals were active and enjoying their day off. Even they need a break every now and again.

Be sure and come out to the zoo, even though it's cold out! It's funny though. I have so much fun taking care of everyone that I hardly notice it sometimes. Hope to see you all soon!

Posted by Lynsey

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! They seem to have really enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete