Monday, December 13, 2010

Frosty the Snowbear?

The weather outside is frightful! But luckily, the animals have nice fur coats to help keep them warm. And those who don't have other adaptations to deal with the cold.

Yesterday, the temperature steadily declined and I was on duty to ready the zoo for it. After cover hoses, wrapping spigots with towels and making sure each mammal had enough hay to snuggle into, I made sure the wind couldn't blow too fiercely into any of the night houses and that all gates were securely locked. But as I went to give the bear cubs their meal, Athena stood up next to the fence and she had little icicles hanging from her fur! She was still running around and playing with Yonah so it obviously didn't affect her. However, it makes you think about how truly amazing these animals are.

I spent my whole day bundled up in multiple layers of clothes and the bear cubs played all day, the bobcats roamed their yard and DJ the big bear.... well, technically he slept but he was still warm. Their fur coats are so incredibly thick that chances are, when the wind blows, they can barely feel the cold. I wish I had a natural coat like that.

Well that's about all I have for today. College finals are controlling my life these days but as soon as they are over, I hope to give an update every three days or less! Good luck to all of you with finals and we hope to see you all at the zoo soon!

Posted by Lynsey

1 comment:

  1. I walked outside long enough to get the mail and ran back inside...WAY too cold out there for me. Definitely a little jealous of all the furry four-legged ones out there.

    ReplyDelete