Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Down in the swimming hole

Today was B-E-A-yooo-tiful at the zoo. The leaves are gorgeous colors and the animals are all in good spirits. And at least it wasn't too cold to function for me. :)

I went in to do some conditioning with Gus the groundhog. We spent some time together, getting him used to me being in there, walking around, messing with his things. I fed him acorns the entire time so maybe that had something to do with it. He's making his own hay burrow so if you don't see him while you're in the zoo, he's snoozing already. Kind of a lazy boy.

As I made my way around the zoo, peeping in on all the animals, I (of course) was distracted by two whiny bear cubs, begging for acorns. I collected a bowl full and sat at the fence, tossing them treats. I can't believe they are getting so big! If you  haven't been to the zoo lately, stop by and check them out. I remember when they first arrived, weighing just under 7 pounds. They've become so curious and independent in the last few weeks and it makes me wonder exactly what will happen as the weather continues to cool down. Will they go into a hiberation? Or will they follow our actions, staying awake all winter because of us giving them adequate food and shelter? Time will tell and every day is a guessing game for us lately. They are changing every day and each day is a learning experience that I wouldn't trade for the world.

And speaking of bears, I was able to sneak up on DJ, the grown bear, and see him swimming today!! He was sitting in his pond, with just his head poking out. He would raise his arms really high and splash in the water. Then he'd run to the shallow area, scoop up some muck from the bottom of the pond, and eat whatever was in his paw. Tadpoles I'm assuming. In almost a year of working with these animals, today was the first day I've ever seen him play in the water. It was amazing!! He looked so content just splashing and playing. I know he weighs ~400 pounds but he sure has some adorable antics. How did Christopher Robin say it? Silly ol bear.

Hopefully tomorrow brings great things also. We look forward to seeing you at the zoo!

Posted by Lynsey

1 comment:

  1. Definetly going to have stop in with Luke next time we bring him down...and lil Jax next year too!

    ReplyDelete